Breast Cancer Screening
Breast cancer is the most common form of invasive cancer in women, and while the risk is higher in women with a family history of the disease, it also strikes women with no family history. Early detection of breast cancer can lead to dramatically improved rates of treatment success and survival.
MRI of the breast is a recommended approach to screening and early detection because it involves no use of ionizing radiation. Moreover, the examination itself involves no uncomfortable pressing or manipulation of the breast. Instead the breasts are positioned in a breast coil that accommodates all breast sizes. MRI of the breast is especially suited to the detection of even very small cancerous lesions.
Preparing for Your Exam
- Please appear at least 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- If your menstrual cycle is regular, the scan is best performed between days 7 and 14, a phase of your cycle during which the glandular breast tissue can be especially well represented.
- If your menstrual cycle is irregular, please confer with us in advance about when your appointment should take place.
- If you are postmenopausal, the examination can be carried out at any time.
- If you take any hormone medication (e.g. an oral contraceptive), the examination cannot be carried out until you have stopped taking the hormone for at least 4 weeks.
- Your exam will last for around 2 hours.
A Matter of Safety
- MRI scans make use of a strong magnetic field. For this reason, please bear in mind the following restrictions:
- Patients with a cardiac pacemaker, a defibrillator, an artificial heart valve made of metal and/or an insulin pump are not allowed to undergo the MRI scan.
- Patients who have undergone surgery for the placement of a medical device that is at least partly made of metal (including cochlear implants, artificial joints, intramedullary nails, vascular clips, cardiac stents, metal clips and metal plates, but not including dental inlays) must wait at least 6 weeks before undergoing the MRI scan.
- Please notify our medical staff in advance if you suffer from impaired kidney function.
- Please bring any related medical reports with you to your appointment.
Including consultation and medical report: EUR 740